Monday, March 4, 2013

Back to the grind......

The workout grind that is.

I have always been pretty hefty.  I have never been dainty or petite   Even at my smallest weight I was tall and broad.  In high school and college the weight started creeping on.  5 lbs here.....10 lbs a year later.  When I got married I weighed about 190 lbs.  I am almost 5' 10".  I wasn't obese by any sense but I was teetering on really being overweight. Then a funny thing happened my first year of marriage.   I was having kidney problems and my husband didn't want me working for a bit.  So I stayed at home for a few months. And I sank into a depression.  And I somehow managed to gain 30 lbs in a few months.  In the next ten years and 3 children later I found myself in a very scary place. Sadly my weight was almost 300 lbs.  The highest I ever saw on my scale was 267.  But I am sure it probably went a good 10 lbs higher.

I started having some scary symptoms   My blood pressure was sky high.  My husband had just recovered from a heart attack and he kept nagging me to get on some medication.  So I went to the Dr.  Funny she never said hey why don't you lose weight.  But I left the office with some medicine and a plan in my mind.  By the time I went back I wanted to have lost some weight.  I started watching what I ate.  I had lost weight off and on during the past decade.  The last time I was successful it was interrupted by baby number 3.  Through diet alone I had lost 12 lbs.  Then one of the best things happened to me.  I had been a stay at home mom for 3 years.  I landed a job overnights at a hospital   Not glamorous work.  I was part of the cleaning crew.

But with that job I started becoming the most active I have ever been.  I was on my feet and literally running from one end of the hospital to the next.  I started to lose more weight.  There is nothing more motivating for me then to actually see lbs dropping off.  I started really watching what I ate.  I always allowed for cheat days.  My main focus was cutting back on my portion sizes.  If we ordered pizza I only ate two slices.  After a while my body got used to eating only 2 slices and I wasn't hungry for more.  I walked as much as I could at work.  I ended up transferring to a job on campus.  I made every step count there as well.  I also had a 10 minute to and from my parking garage.  Every step counted for me.   The weight came off.  It was slow going.  I probably only lost a few lbs a month.  But I had hit a big milestone 50 lbs gone.  Sadly my blood pressure never improved.  Apparently that was more a genetic thing vs a weight thing.  Then we packed up and moved to Texas.  I once again became a stay at home mom.  My husband, bless his man heart, even voiced out a loud the fear I was having.  "I bet you gain all that weight back since you aren't working anymore ", he said.

So here we are 9 months later.  And in fact I have kept that weight off.  But now it is time for my second goal.  I have at least another 50 to lose.  I just got an elliptical/bike to use at  home.   When my husband is at work I always put on my music and try to be as active as I can by cleaning and well dancing around since nobody can see me.  But I have decided it time to buckle down again.  So who knows.  Maybe in a year I will have hit another 50 lbs. I am certainly going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment